[perl #17474] perl 5.8.0's nmake install fails on Win32 if $(INST_TOP) contains whitespace characters

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 27, 2012 18:44
Subject:
[perl #17474] perl 5.8.0's nmake install fails on Win32 if $(INST_TOP) contains whitespace characters
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1348796652-1076.17474-15-0@perl.org
On Fri Sep 27 17:28:09 2002, schwern wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 07:19:59PM +0100, hv@crypt.org wrote:
> > Burkhard Meier (via RT) <perlbug@perl.org> wrote:
> > :"nmake install" fails on Win32 if the $(INST_TOP) makefile macro
> > :specifies an installation directory that contains whitespace
characters,

> > Thanks for the report; you suggest quoting references to $INST_BIN,
> > $INST_SCRIPT and $INST_HTML, but I'd have thought that many of the
> > other variables involved could also be space-ridden paths.
>
> Many of them do, and it causes lots of other problems.  Here's one which
> causes a problem when perl is in C:\Program Files\Perl
> http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=448
>
> It can't be fixed because there's currently no reliable way to bypass the
> shell and still trap the output of a system command.
>

> > Can any win32 expert confirm how much needs to change here? (Preferably
> > with a patch. :)
>
> To fix it properly, I think the whole of MakeMaker will have to be
swept for
> this sort of thing.  It likely effects Unix as well, only we tend to avoid
> spaces in paths under Unix.

ISTR that these questions of whitespace in paths come up from time to
time.  Is there someone out there who is familiar with those issues who
could review this ticket and make a recommendation?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open