[perl #111448] pod2man generates invalid roff

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 26, 2012 19:07
Subject:
[perl #111448] pod2man generates invalid roff
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1348711669-22.111448-15-0@perl.org
On Wed Feb 29 13:04:43 2012, tom christiansen wrote:
> On the systems I tested it on, the manpages whose pods contain non-
> ASCII
> are botched, some to the point of complete illegibility.
>
> This is wrong:
>
>     $ man perlhist| grep var
>        Steve Hay, Matt S Trout, David Golden, Florian Ragwitz,
> Tatsuhiko Miyagawa, Chris "BinGOs" Williams, Zefram and var Arnfjoer`
> Bjarmason.
>        Chip Salzenberg gets credit for that, with a nod to his cow
> orker, David Croy.  We had passed around various names (baton, token,
> hot potato) but none caught on.
> 	var     5.13.10       2011-Feb-20
>
> And this is intolerable:
>
>     $ man perlcn
>     PERLCN(1)                                            Perl
> Programmers Reference Guide
> PERLCN(1)
>
>     NAME
> 	   perlcn - XXXX Perl XX
>
>     DESCRIPTION
> 	   XXXX Perl XXX!
>
> 	   X 5.8.0 XXX, Perl XXXXXX Unicode (XXX) XX, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX;
> CJK (XXX) XXXXXXXX.  Unicode XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXXXXX: XXXX, XXXX,
> 	   XXXXXXXX (XXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXX, XXXX, XX). XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (X
> PC XXXX).
>
> 	   Perl XXX Unicode XXXX. XXX Perl XXXXXXXXXX Unicode XX; Perl XXXXXX
> (XXXXXXXXX) XXX Unicode XXXX.  XXXXXXX, XXXXX Unicode
> 	   XXXXXXXXXXXX, Perl XXX Encode XXXX, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.
>
> The bug is that while you are allowed to and encouraged to declare
> your podfiles' encoding, this is severely disrespected.
>
> The following podpages show the problem:
>
>     perlebcdic.pod
>     perlgit.pod
>     perlhist.pod
>     perlpodspec.pod
>     perlthrtut.pod
>
>     perl588delta.pod
>     perl5100delta.pod
>     perl5120delta.pod
>     perl5121delta.pod
>     perl5122delta.pod
>     perl5123delta.pod
>     perl5124delta.pod
>     perl5140delta.pod
>     perl5141delta.pod
>     perl5142delta.pod
>     perl5150delta.pod
>     perl5151delta.pod
>     perl5152delta.pod
>     perl5153delta.pod
>     perl5154delta.pod
>     perl5156delta.pod
>     perl5157delta.pod
>     perl5158delta.pod
>
>     perlcn.pod
>     perljp.pod
>     perlko.pod
>     perltw.pod
>
> --tom

Is this a problem that can be fixed in the 'pod2man' utility?

Or does it require corrections of individual .pod files?

Or both?

Or neither?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan