[perl #90178] yet another switch doc bug

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
September 20, 2012 19:23
Subject:
[perl #90178] yet another switch doc bug
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1348194193-539.90178-15-0@perl.org
This RT posting has not received a response in 16 months, so I will make
an attempt.

On Mon May 09 06:04:46 2011, tom christiansen wrote:
> perlfunc reads:
>
>     =item break
>
>     Break out of a C<given()> block.
>
>     This keyword is enabled by the C<"switch"> feature: see L<feature>
>     for more information.
>
> First off, the break keyword is not even *mentioned* in feature,
> so this SEE ALSO is bogus and wrong.
>
> Secondly, if there is more to say, perlfunc should explain
> what it does.

I think the only problem is conveying to the reader that the reason why
she should "see L<feature>" is for information on "switch" -- not
information on "break".  I am attaching a patch to clarify this, and
will apply it in seven days unless there is serious objection.

> Thirdly, perlsyn says:
>
>     =head3 Breaking out
>
>     You can use the C<break> keyword to break out of the enclosing
>     C<given> block.  Every C<when> block is implicitly ended with
>     a C<break>.
>
> But I cannot for the life of me understand why break even exists.

Any discussion of the merits of an existing feature is better carried
out on (bikeshedded ?) on P5P -- at least up to the point where someone
submits a patch.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---