develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2012

RE: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

Thread Previous | Thread Next
From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
September 19, 2012 04:34
Subject:
RE: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E3D245B8E@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
> From: Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** 
> > > Given your concerns we eagerly anticipate the patch that strips the
> > > "Can't locate" out of those strings in a nice sane way.
> > 
> > stripping just "Can't locate" will save approx 60+ bytes with 
> > a cost of adding complexity, so it hardly worth it.
> 
> I've tried with latest git, (v5.17.3-485-gdd76683)
> I made a change to sv.c which eliminates a few strings,
> namely, instead of 
> 
> Can't coerce %s to integer in %s
> Can't coerce %s to number in %s
> Can't coerce %s to string in %s
> Can't coerce readonly %s to string
> Can't coerce readonly %s to string in %s
> 
> I replaced these with one single following string:
> 
> Can't coerce %s%s to %s%s%s
> 
> with a simple change that is attached.

now attaching same simple patch but with corrected typo

> 
> For not very well understood by me reasons, perl517.dll became a
> bit larger, not smaller,
> it became 974,927 bytes instead of 974,922 bytes without my patch.
> 
> > Saving could be done with extracting error messages into 
> > separate text file,
> > with adding benefit of e.g. translatibility,
> > and with the same cost of added complexity, thus maintainability,
> 
> I am not sure, if it worth the effort, and - if it does - I am very 
> welcoming general ideas on the matter, eg. how such error messages
> could be organized.
> 
Thread Previous | Thread Next


nntp.perl.org: Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at ask@perl.org | Group listing | About