Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 18, 2012 03:15
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
CANgJU+XPyo6pRHdi5=f5U_5zAo_UHts1Zc3F9=aBtP24dz+8bA@mail.gmail.com
On 18 September 2012 11:50, Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR **
<vadim.konovalov@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>> From: Aristotle Pagaltzis
>> Obviously the solution is not to
>> stick a copy of the user manual into the error message, but
>> neither can
>> it be to do nothing for fear of bloat. Instead it calls for
>> the exercise
>> of some editorial taste and chops: keep it short and sweet
>> and useful –
>> as short as possible under those goals but no shorter.
>
> To my taste, current message is just perfect,
>
> but - if new words are really necessary to add -
>
> please be as short as possible in such messages, because
> these sit in perl516.dll
>
> D:\perl-tests\perl-5.16.0\bin>strings perl516.dll |grep "Can't locate"
> Can't locate package %-p for @%2p::ISA
> Can't locate object method "%-p" via package "%-p" (perhaps you forgot to load "%-p"?)
> Can't locate object method "%-p" via package "%2p"
> Can't locate %s
> Can't locate %s in @INC%s%s (@INC contains:%-p)
> Can't locate %s:   %s
> Can't locate object method "%s" via package "%-p"
>
> Current suggestion suggests to make it thrise as big...... :o :o

Given your concerns we eagerly anticipate the patch that strips the
"Can't locate" out of those strings in a nice sane way.

;-)

Yves