Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
September 18, 2012 02:02
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
20120918090246.GF9583@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 07:23:14AM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** writes:
>
> > IMO yesterday novices and today experienced people will be grateful
> > for short and concise messages, instead of guesses and suggestions
> > which could fail or not.
>
> As a non-novice, I'd still be grateful for the error message to include
> the Module::Name rather than just Module/Name.pm. Apart from anything
> else it makes it copy-and-pastable to, for example, a cpanm command --
> even though that isn't always what I want to do.

That's the one change that I think it would be unambiguously useful to add.
However, it's not trivially obvious how to do it, as the conversion from
Module::Name to Module/Name.pm is done at compile time (to save repeated
work) and the op that stores the string constant has (I think) only one
place to hook a string from.

Nicholas Clark