Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
September 18, 2012 00:06
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
20120918070647.GB23855@fernweh.plasmasturm.org
* Vadim Konovalov <vadim.konovalov@alcatel-lucent.com> [2012-09-18 08:15]:
> And I want to cite Abigail who just said in parrallel thread:
>
> >From: Abigail [mailto:abigail@abigail.be]
> >While I agree that this is can benefit a programmer who just started
> >programming the week before, I do not think this benefits the more
> >experienced programmer. And that ought to be the target, as people
> >tend to be experienced a whole lot longer than they are novices.
>
> IMO yesterday novices and today experienced people will be grateful
> for short and concise messages, instead of guesses and suggestions
> which could fail or not.

By that token you can justify any error message text whatsoever, because
the user who already knows what the error message means doesn’t need the
error message to explain itself. That’s a null argument.

Does the added verbosity optimise *against* the expert user? If *that*
were the case, then there is a trade-off to be made. Then the concern
voiced by Abigail is an important consideration.

But if the expert is unaffected (or, I agree with Smylers, also gets
a small benefit) then that argument says nothing.

Regards,