Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
September 17, 2012 10:09
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
CALJW-qGnsqxdCO0h2xM0GGAGt3gGwpM8Z9R9Bv-gFFfORKrEfg@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** <
vadim.konovalov@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> for example,
> one of reasons of the said error could be
>  - failure to populate PERL5LIB correctly,
>  - or maybe typo in "use Modullle;"
>  - or network error, so xxxx.pm is not loaded
>  - xxxxx???xxxx (lack of my imagination makes me fail to write this item,
>    but it do exist, I know that)
>  - or whatever else, in future there is something else that is not
> happening
>    today but causing said error
>
> and your proposal focuses in only "Try installing LWP::UserAgent from your
> distribution or via CPAN.", fails to observe others cases, and this
> is not good.

Are you saying the advice causes harm when the error is something other
than a missing module? I don't see it. When someone asks about this error
on a support site or if he googles it, that's exactly the same advice he'll
get, yet I haven't heard of a single person harmed by this.