[perl #113396] Keeping track of qw-as-parens removal

From:
Ricardo SIGNES via RT
Date:
September 17, 2012 09:17
Subject:
[perl #113396] Keeping track of qw-as-parens removal
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1347898658-1622.113396-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Sep 03 23:06:30 2012, andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR@franz.ak.mind.de wrote:
> (1) is it clear that the change in perl will stay or is there still
> potential dissens about it
>
> (2) can a new perl release happen given the broken state of the CPAN or
> do we consider some of the broken CPAN modules as global showstoppers
>
> (3) are there tips and tricks how to deal with the change as a CPAN
> author

(1) The change is almost certainly not going away.  We had warnings for two years about it, and
it's for real gains in the parser.

(2)  It is *great* to know about this sort of breakage before a release is made and make a
decision as to how blocked we are.  In this case, I don't think we're very blocked, but by all
means let's leave this open for now until 5.18.0 so we can keep track of this and contact some
folks.

(3) I'm not sure what's simplest, other than running one's program under 5.16.0 or 5.14.0 and
seeing the no-parens-qw(...) deprecation warning and fixing those, which should then fix 5.18.0
as well.  Possibly someone has a clearer idea.  Definitely that advice should/can live here.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open