Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Darin McBride
Date:
September 17, 2012 06:31
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
11932760.VxqBY85Sz5@naboo
On Monday September 17 2012 9:52:28 AM Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hi Darin,
>
> Darin McBride <dmcbride@cpan.org> writes:
> > Please do not anthropomorphise computers.  (They hate that.)  Seriously,
> > every study that we rely on for $work points out that this confuses users
> > and/or gives them a false sense of fear (oh noes! the computers! they are
> > THINKING!) or security (the computer is smarter than me, so it must be
> > right).
> Fair point. Can you point me to one of these studies?

Unfortunately, no.  All I get is the final, boiled down, internal-only
proprietary "education" (indoctrination?) session that vaguely points to
having done studies (I'm not sure if some of the studies themselves were
proprietary - we do a fair number of those, too).

And then these results end up in a bunch of "Thou shalt not"s for producing
messages, especially for translation (as in a previous role I had 29 languages
to deal with).

> Also see my latest proposal please:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters/114613/focus=1146
> 73

From this perspective, much better.  But I'm going to refrain from picking
other colours for this bikeshed until it seems to me that others with more
sway than I have picked the location of the bikeshed :-)

I still agree that improvements to messages are to be encouraged, but I don't
have an issue with the suggestion that this should be done via diagnostics
instead of the main error message.  Perhaps once the mythical exception-object
infrastructure is in place, we might be able to do more for errors that are
stringified.  Maybe.