Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Michael Stapelberg
Date:
September 17, 2012 03:40
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
x6fw6haq6i.fsf@midna.zekjur.net
Hi demerphq ,

demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> writes:
> So then this is an XY problem right?
>
> You are asking us to change the error message (X) in an attempt to
> work around the problem that newbies don't use diagnostics (Y).
>
> But instead you should be asking how we can solve Y, which is "how do
> we make sure that newbies know about and use diagnostics".
I disagree. Newbies will use the default. Otherwise we’d have to publish
aggressively that you should never use 'perl', but always 'perl
-Mdiagnostics', and if we were to do that, why wouldn’t we make it the
default instead?

To address your actual worries about regressions:

1. We could make this error message only appear for modern code which
   includes "use v5.18" (or whenever this might be included).

2. We could check if the error message is about to be printed to a TTY
   (that is, interactively) and only modify it in that case.

--
Best regards,
Michael