Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 17, 2012 02:52
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
CANgJU+WKquMaMWCA+8gRA30g1TL3h7jPrq8s7uX1iFxEBKMNZg@mail.gmail.com
On 17 September 2012 11:38, Michael Stapelberg <p5p@zekjur.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> writes:
>>   use diagnostics;
> Thanks for the hint about diagnostics. I was indeed unaware of that.
>
>>     (F) You said to do (or require, or use) a file that couldn't be
>>     found. Perl looks for the file in all the locations mentioned in @INC,
>>     unless the file name included the full path to the file.  Perhaps you
>>     need to set the PERL5LIB or PERL5OPT environment variable to say where
>>     the extra library is, or maybe the script needs to add the library name
>>     to @INC.  Or maybe you just misspelled the name of the file.  See
>>     perlfunc/require and lib.
> While this message might be technically correct, it is equally
> unfriendly to novice users and doesn’t address the vast-majority case of
> the module just not being installed.
>
>> Is this case so special?  Developers know what it this error means.
>> End-users should report it to the package maintainer as bug-report,
>> so do not need to be able to resolve this by themselves.
> While I’d certainly prefer it, not everything is installed via
> distribution packages and not every script is distributed via CPAN.
>
> Therefore, the situation arises quite often (often enough in my personal
> experience alone that I bothered to put up the page mentioned in the
> original post and start a discussion on p5p, obviously :-)).

I think you should patch the diagnostics.

I consider changing this error message a potentially serious
regression for little benefit.

cheers,
Yves