Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Michael Stapelberg
Date:
September 17, 2012 02:38
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
x6sjahat17.fsf@midna.zekjur.net
Hi Mark,

Mark Overmeer <mark@overmeer.net> writes:
>   use diagnostics;
Thanks for the hint about diagnostics. I was indeed unaware of that.

>     (F) You said to do (or require, or use) a file that couldn't be
>     found. Perl looks for the file in all the locations mentioned in @INC,
>     unless the file name included the full path to the file.  Perhaps you
>     need to set the PERL5LIB or PERL5OPT environment variable to say where
>     the extra library is, or maybe the script needs to add the library name
>     to @INC.  Or maybe you just misspelled the name of the file.  See
>     perlfunc/require and lib.
While this message might be technically correct, it is equally
unfriendly to novice users and doesn’t address the vast-majority case of
the module just not being installed.

> Is this case so special?  Developers know what it this error means.
> End-users should report it to the package maintainer as bug-report,
> so do not need to be able to resolve this by themselves.
While I’d certainly prefer it, not everything is installed via
distribution packages and not every script is distributed via CPAN.

Therefore, the situation arises quite often (often enough in my personal
experience alone that I bothered to put up the page mentioned in the
original post and start a discussion on p5p, obviously :-)).

--
Best regards,
Michael