RE: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
vadim.konovalov
Date:
September 17, 2012 01:07
RE: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
35BF8D9716175C43BB9D67CA60CC345E3D245240@FRMRSSXCHMBSC2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com
> From: Michael Stapelberg
> "Konovalov, Vadim writes:
> > I dislike this advice, because this guess is correct in some 90%
> > cases but is wrong in other 10%, and dealing with error in these
> > 10% becomes harder.
> >
> > Next, it suggests one way of resolving but does not
> suggests another,
> > which is also bad..
> >
> > Wrong guesses from SW are bad, IMO.
> > Especially when they trying to help newbies with a cost of confusing
> > ordinary users.
> Please see my latest proposal, which addresses all of your concerns:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.perl5.porters/114
> 613/focus=114673

it doesn't,

for example,
one of reasons of the said error could be
 - failure to populate PERL5LIB correctly,
 - or maybe typo in "use Modullle;"
 - or network error, so xxxx.pm is not loaded
 - xxxxx???xxxx (lack of my imagination makes me fail to write this item,
   but it do exist, I know that)
 - or whatever else, in future there is something else that is not happening
   today but causing said error

and your proposal focuses in only "Try installing LWP::UserAgent from your
distribution or via CPAN.", fails to observe others cases, and this
is not good.

I do not see how this is resolved in your said URL.

Moreover, the advice
 Try installing LWP::UserAgent from your distribution or via CPAN.
does not cover all cases, while it looks like it is, and hence it is wrong.