Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
demerphq
Date:
September 16, 2012 23:45
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
CANgJU+X9C=ey92XBH3AQR_HkX0zv1WhBdfBOD0NBLeeTqCuBNQ@mail.gmail.com
On 16 September 2012 23:04, Michael Stapelberg <p5p@zekjur.net> wrote:
> Hi Claes,
>
> Claes Jakobsson <claes@surfar.nu> writes:
>> Changing this quite critical error message format will break peoples
>> code. Tools that checks logs, dependency checkers and perhaps even one
>> or two CPAN clients. At least I had code at a previous job that
>> matched against it and I'm sure others have too.
> Ugh, I feared that someone might really have code which depends on
> this. I don’t really understand why they don’t just eval "use <module>"
> and see if that works correctly. Is there any advantage in actually
> parsing the error message?

Parsing log files for error messages. Not everybody runs simple single
process scripts you know.

Yves