Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Darin McBride
Date:
September 16, 2012 15:27
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
1782687.YHvvgY9K6W@naboo
On Sunday September 16 2012 9:07:33 PM Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I’ve been dealing with people who have little to no experience with
> Perl over several years. A very common problem for people who are new to
> Perl is to figure out why a Perl script does not work when it spits
> something in their face along the lines of

Improving error messages ++

Use of "I" in such error messages --

Please do not anthropomorphise computers.  (They hate that.)  Seriously, every
study that we rely on for $work points out that this confuses users and/or
gives them a false sense of fear (oh noes! the computers! they are THINKING!)
or security (the computer is smarter than me, so it must be right).

Instead of "I looked for [it]..." how about "Perl search for [it]..."?

The exact wording is largely bikeshedding.  The anthropomorphising issue,
however, is, IMO, an actual usability issue.  Then again, so is the issue you
bring up.