Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found

From:
Michael Stapelberg
Date:
September 16, 2012 13:14
Re: Changing the Perl error message when a module is not found
Message ID:
x6lig9d8tb.fsf@midna.zekjur.net
Hi Dominic,

Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> writes:
> I would much rather see this be a brief reference to a piece of perldoc
> which can be updated with whatever the best current advice is. (I also
> don't particularly like the use of the personal pronoun):
This criticism is very valid. Keeping the message updatable would be
good.

> Can't locate LWP/UserAgent.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.12.4 /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.12 /usr/share/perl/5.12
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .); please see 'perldoc perlmodinst or visit
> http://perldoc.perl.org/... for more details' at -e line 1.
I think this message is not a big improvement over the current state. It
still is just one big line without clear wording, looking scary to Perl
beginners.

Let me suggest this version of my original proposal instead:

    ERROR: Could not load Perl module LWP::UserAgent

    I looked for LWP/UserAgent.pm in these paths (@INC):
    /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.12.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.12.4
    /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.12 /usr/share/perl/5.12
    /usr/local/lib/site_perl

    Try installing LWP::UserAgent from your distribution or via
    CPAN. Run 'perldoc perlmodinst' for more information.

--
Best regards,
Michael