[perl #37897] sprintf of version objects

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
September 13, 2012 10:26
Subject:
[perl #37897] sprintf of version objects
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1347557181-193.37897-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Dec 15 07:35:12 2005, jpeacock@rowman.com wrote:
> I suppose we could simply error out if the version object was an alpha
> version (and one of the vectorization formats was chosen), but I don't
> have that exposed via an easy to call function.  It is just:
>
> 	hv_exists((HV*)SvRV(vecsv), "alpha", 5)

I see that this change was made, in commit 34ba6322b644, but as a warning.

Unfortunately, in causes sprintf("[%vd]", new version v1.1_1) to return
"[%vd]", which means that the %-sequence is treated as invalid based on
its argument.

That doesn’t make sense to me.  I think it should simply turn into the
empty string, the way it does with sprintf("[%vd]") (with no arguments).

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: resolved