How to create/use smoke-me branches

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
September 12, 2012 06:33
Subject:
How to create/use smoke-me branches
Message ID:
1B32FF956ABF414C9BCE5E487A1497E70E523B68@ukmail02.planit.group
How do I create a smoke-me branch? And if the changes smoke ok then how
do I merge them back into blead?

This could do with being documented somewhere, either in perlhack.pod or
perlgit.pod?, since I can't currently see it anywhere. I'm happy to do
the legwork in that if someone can give me the appropriate set of git
commands...

From the RMG's instructions on the use of release branches for the
monthly releases and a read of perlgit.pod, I'm guessing something like
this:

-----8<-----

# Create the smoke-me/whatever branch and switch to it? Is the branch
seen at the remote end at this stage, or only locally?
git checkout -b smoke-me/whatever

# Edit, add, commit changes here
# Does "git push" here push changes to the appropriate remote location
for the smoker to pick up? (I have "default = current" under "[push]" in
my .gitconfig file, but would something more explicit than "git push" be
required to be sure of doing the right thing without that?)

# Switch back to blead
git checkout blead

# Get latest remote blead changes into the local repo & workspace
git pull

# Merge the smoke-me/whatever branch into blead? Does this also delete
the smoke-me/whatever branch -- locally and/or remotely?
git merge smoke-me/whatever

# Push the changes out. Will the history now seen by people browsing the
remote repo see the history of changes made in the smoke-me/whatever
branch, or will they only see a single change for the merge?
git push

The RMG then suggests something like the following. Do these delete the
smoke-me/whatever branch remotely and locally respectively?

git push origin :smoke-me/whatever
git branch -d smoke-me/whatever

but the first command there tripped up when I release 5.17.3 recently,
although the problem was deemed to be benign (probably something amiss
with a git commit hook on the server, it was suggested, although it
would still be nice to get to the bottom of that and fix it, or at least
document that the "error" is "expected").