JROBINSON grant report #9

From:
Jess Robinson
Date:
September 11, 2012 02:24
Subject:
JROBINSON grant report #9
Message ID:
alpine.LNX.2.00.1209111011540.3709@insel

I was getting a bit square-eyed with chasing and then pondering all of the
bits of .c code in Configure that will need changing (or defaulting) to be
able to run it for cross-compiling, so last week I decided to skip ahead a
bit and just list all the rest to see how many there were. Excluding the
ones I've dealt with already, I listed 28!

I also listed some inconsistencies in Configure which makes working with
it as a whole a bit annoying:

* Most tests use "try.c", some use test files named after the thing they
are testing.
* Most tests use set X; $compile_ok X to run a compilation, and some just
use $cc. (I finally figured out that set X is the equivalent of $_ = .. I
should have asked that earlier)
* Some checks accept/use defaults from the hints file, some don't - would
be ideal if we could override *everything*

After this I fixed the actual value that was stopping Configure from
continuing (charbits) and started trying to actually "make libperl.a".

This week I will compare this produced config to the canned one I've been
using and see which bits need fixing. I will also look at making all
config values default to the hints file, if set.

Summary
-------

5.75hr - Configure reviewing, scoping rest of task, initial "make" run.

Jess