[perl #114774] apparently no XS modules build when linking statically

From:
Leon Timmermans via RT
Date:
September 6, 2012 07:51
Subject:
[perl #114774] apparently no XS modules build when linking statically
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1346943079-1428.114774-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Sep 06 04:12:13 2012, perl@plan9.de wrote:
> As the subject says, when perl is cofnigured with static linking, I
>    have yet to find an XS module
> that actually builds:
>
> [...]
>
> There also seems to be no easy way to build a new perl binary to
>    install
> via Module::Build. And lastly, it seems to be imppossible to write a
> Makefile.PL from a Build.PL in an automated way.
>
> It seems static linking is just one of many ways to break
>    Module::Build's
> XS building - some Xs modules using Module::Build (Alien::SDL and SDL)
> basically do the whole linking themselves because of this.
>
> I think Module::Build should be able to build XS extensions just like
> MakeMaker does. If this can't be done, then there should be an
>    automated
> way to generate a working Makefile.PL file from the Build.PL file -
>    many
> extensions do not ship with a Makefile.PL anymore, and thus don't
>    build in
> many cases (native windows is an example where Module::Build also
>    often
> fails and MakeMaker succeeds).

First of all, you filed this bugreport at the wrong place. The upstream
for Module::Build is on CPAN, so it's CPAN bugtracker should be used.
You can find this bug at https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=47282.

Secondly, patches welcome.

Leon

---