Cross-compiling with Buildroot (using qemu)

From:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Perrad?=
Date:
September 5, 2012 06:36
Subject:
Cross-compiling with Buildroot (using qemu)
Message ID:
CAB0FRstj1ac1wx+DQa1+Gxv_JTE+mtwJhw-juuv7YV-EAFwoCw@mail.gmail.com
Buildroot is a cross-compiling environment for embedded linux (see
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/).
It allows to build a cross toolchain, your application (for example
perl), a kernel linux and finally a root filesystem image.
With Buildroot, you could target a real embedded device or the
emulator qemu (system mode).
So, you could build a VM with only a linux kernel, busybox and perl.

My goal was to run Dancer.
My work is currently in the BR patch queue
(http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/).
The main patch is http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/181110/ (perl.mk
contains the recipe)
Qemu in user mode allows to run a target binary in the host environment,
so the full process (configure, building, testing) is almost standard but slow.

Sometime embedded device requires a minimalist stuff, so the patch
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/181111/ allows to install only
miniperl on the target.

In order to use modules from CPAN, I use cpanminus, see
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/181108/
Dancer requires 22 distributions, only HTML-Parser is a XS module
which needs a patch.

Fran├žois.