Re: IO::FILE

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: IO::FILE
Message ID:
20120901002449.3722.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
On 8/31/12 3:25 PM, Linda Strickland wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> We are updating our system to allow for the creation of Excel 2007  and later files.  We currently only have the options for 2003 .  While loading Excel::Writer::XLSX we receive this message:
>           Warning: prerequisite IO::File 1.14 not found.
> We have 1.13 .  Will there be any problems we might need to be aware of when we upgrade to IO::FILE 1.14?

The IO::File module is part of the IO distribution, which is maintained
on CPAN.  (http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/IO-1.25/).  You can examine any
bugs reported at that distribution's bug queue,
https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=IO.

IO::File is also part of the Perl 5 core distribution.  If you are using
either Perl 5.8.9 or any version of Perl 5.10, 5.12, 5.14 or 5.16, then
you should have IO::File 1.14 or later available.  (You can see this by
saying 'corelist -a IO::File' at the command-line.)

Excel::Writer::XLSX is maintained on CPAN.  When I examine its
Makefile.PL
(http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/JMCNAMARA/Excel-Writer-XLSX-0.49/Makefile.PL),
I note that it requires File::Temp v0.19.  This module is also included
in the Perl 5 core distribution and any version of Perl 5.10 or greater
has at least File::Temp 0.19.

Since modules that travel with the Perl 5 core distribution are heavily
tested and used in production, they're usually quite reliable.  Problems
are possible, but if you encounter problems with Excel::Writer::XLSX,
you should probably follow the author's instructions and first consult
the distro's mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/spreadsheet-writeexcel

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan