Re: fixing smartmatch (again (still))

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: fixing smartmatch (again (still))
Message ID:
20120831144205.GC30078@cancer.codesimply.com
* Peter Rabbitson <rabbit-p5p@rabbit.us> [2012-08-29T09:00:47]
> My 2c on this last point. The fact that you are having the same discussion
> repeatedly over the course of a year indicates that the definition of this
> feature does not "collapse" to a straightforward set of semantics, no matter
> how many times you reexamine it. Combine this with the general drive to make
> perl5 *less* ambiguous - and all of a sudden FC's suggestion seems the
> sanest of all so far.

So far, my entire experience has been that it *does* collapse into a
straightforward set of semantics.  I proposed them in 2011 and again in 2012.
The discussion has largely been "let's add more cases," but those fail under
the weight of their complexity.

So, I don't think the current ~~/when proposal introduces serious ambiguity.  I
think if it gets rejected, it will be because its simplicity ends up meaning it
brings too little utility to the table for the cost.

I certainly do agree with the implicit suggestion that it would be insane to be
having this discussion again in 2013. ;)

--
rjbs