Re: fixing smartmatch (again (still))

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: fixing smartmatch (again (still))
Message ID:
20120828230831.GA15920@cancer.codesimply.com
* David Golden <dagolden@cpan.org> [2012-08-28T18:52:35]
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> wrote:
>
> > I think people will have fewer reservations about accepting weird
> > special cases like this for a keyword-based control structure
> > (especially considering the precedent set by while (<>), etc) than for
> > an infix operator (since it will be a weird special case either way -
> > "why can i do '$foo ~~ 1', but not '$a = 1; $foo ~~ $a'?".
> >

> The opportunity for confusion exists either way.  My suggestion is to
> change *one* thing -- smartmatch -- instead of *two* things -- smartmatch
> and when.

That's not quite true.  No matter what we're changing both.  Right now, when
has many special cases that are not smartmatch: perldoc perlsyn and search for
"Most of the power"

> Then all people have to know/relearn is the smartmatch table, not the
> smartmatch table *and* the special case rules for when.

This is true, though, if when has no special cases, and the way we change it is
to remove them all, leaving only "when ($smartmatch_rhs)"

I think there are merits to both that and to the way I proposed it.  I feel
very strongly about the specific example that Jesse L. provided above.  I want
to write some code and see what it looks like...

--
rjbs