Re: deprecate and remove microperl (was Re: microperl (was Re: perl5.16.1-RC1 is now available))

From:
David Leadbeater
Date:
Re: deprecate and remove microperl (was Re: microperl (was Re: perl5.16.1-RC1 is now available))
Message ID:
CAP9KPhAK_ZGc==bRd1qxf1LB-k+-QWjuO9FAK_RiFNAtT5yPug@mail.gmail.com
[Apparently this message didn't make it to p5p, resending.]

On 18 August 2012 09:52, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
[snip]
> So I'm not sure what the unique use case is.

As someone who did some work on fixing microperl I am (now) also unsure.

The main reason I looked at it is it was there already and seemed like
an interesting base, but in hindsight it's a bit of a red herring, it
provides a very simple way to get something resembling perl running
(especially when cross-compiling) but as soon as you want to use
signals or various other features that aren't available (sometimes
failing in unobvious ways) you either have to customise it or switch
to a "real" perl.

Given limited resources focusing them on cross-compilation rather than
microperl makes sense. It would be great if cross-compilation of a
real perl was almost as easy as doing it with microperl.

David