[perl #66686] please undeprecate doublequoting default for heredoc string terminator

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 21, 2012 22:31
Subject:
[perl #66686] please undeprecate doublequoting default for heredoc string terminator
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1345613464-982.66686-15-0@perl.org
On Tue Jun 23 20:37:15 2009, davidnicol@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Michael G Schwern<schwern@pobox.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Give the deprecation warnings some teeth. �Make it a straight up
> syntax error.
>
> You realize that making that a syntax error implies editing
> t/base/lex.t, right?
>
> How about acknowledging that after fourteen years on death row without
> executing this prisoner it is eligible for parole?

I used to used << all the time, and then deprecation warnings became the
default, which was annoying.  I don’t see what harm it causes to
undeprecated <<, since it is totally unambiguous.

I’m going to re-open this with the hope that we can undeprecate it.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: rejected