broken L<> when deleting dead ports

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
August 14, 2012 07:26
Subject:
broken L<> when deleting dead ports
Message ID:
20120814142633.GI9583@plum.flirble.org
So, there's list of "special biologist word" platforms in 5.16.0's perldelta:

https://metacpan.org/module/RJBS/perl-5.16.0/pod/perldelta.pod#Platforms-with-no-supporting-programmers:

I'd like to bump them off one per dev release (until code freeze), so that
we spread the joyful news into many many release announcements.

So, UTS drew the short straw, and goes first. I've just smoked this:

$ git show smoke-me/uts_Glue-Factory --stat
commit d87b9044423585a0b6c5c7d4706340e104e67794
Author: Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
Date:   Tue Aug 14 11:54:48 2012 +0200

    Remove the UTS port.

    UTS was a mainframe version of System V from Amdahl, subsequently sold to UT
    Global. The port has not been touched since before 5.8.0, and UTS Global is
    now defunct.

 MANIFEST                      |    5 -
 Porting/perlhist_calculate.pl |    2 +-
 README.uts                    |  107 ----------------------
 ext/POSIX/hints/uts.pl        |    9 --
 handy.h                       |    2 +-
 hints/uts.sh                  |   32 -------
 perl.h                        |   23 +----
 plan9/mkfile                  |    2 +-
 pod/perl.pod                  |    1 -
 util.c                        |    3 -
 uts/sprintf_wrap.c            |  196 -----------------------------------------
 uts/strtol_wrap.c             |  174 ------------------------------------
 win32/Makefile                |    5 +-
 win32/makefile.mk             |    5 +-
 x2p/a2p.h                     |    8 --

As is, that wipes out all files relating to the port, including README.uts

That means that it's no longer copied to pod/perluts.pod and installed as
documentation. Which gives a bit of a conundrum, because:

$ grep 'L<perluts>' pod/*.pod
pod/perl58delta.pod:There are a few known test failures, see L<perluts> (README.uts).

There's a reference to it in pod/perl58delta.pod, which *is* something we
still ship (and install)

I'm not sure I like leaving a broken link, but I'm also not sure what
the best alternative is. Edit perl58delta.pod to move the relevant
information from README.uts into it, eliminating the link?

(I'm also not sure why the podcheck tests don't fail because of this)

Nicholas Clark