Re: [perl #114460] RFE: class as conditional self-defining keywordfor package

From:
David Mertens
Date:
Re: [perl #114460] RFE: class as conditional self-defining keywordfor package
Message ID:
CA+4ieYXYP0fqv_KdPUvPCy3PMJnAC_9Qvz25OHKv-EFdig3GOA@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:58:14PM -0700, Linda W wrote:
>> The problem is that "Core" doesn't have pure classes -- it has modules, yet
>> it represents itself as an OO language.  The modules have requirements that
>> classes don't -- inherently, tying 'concept' to implementation is an
>> anathema
>> to OO design.   Adding a package to CPAN won't change the problem in Core.
>
> One of our medium-term goals for the language in the next couple of
> years is to add the concept of real, actual classes to the perl core.
> I'd be against adding this idea to core if only because of namespace
> clashing issues (a real class implementation will also want to be able
> to use the 'class' keyword).
>
> -doy

I happen to agree with Jesse on this point: at the very least, don't
use the reserved word "class".

In general, though, is your point of contention not solved by a well
written SYNOPSIS section in the module's documentation? Unlike other
languages, Perl makes documentation writing very simple, and a well
written SYNOPSIS should make it very clear what needs to be "use"d in
order to get the class properly pulled in.

David