[perl #64400] rename command on windows fails on files with ~ in them

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 13, 2012 17:11
Subject:
[perl #64400] rename command on windows fails on files with ~ in them
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1344903101-286.64400-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Apr 02 12:49:00 2009, warren.l.dodge@tek.com wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from warren.l.dodge@tek.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl v5.8.5.

> [Please enter your report here]
>

> I found something that File::Copy doesn't work with properly. I am not
> sure if the problem is in perl or in the windows system.
>
> I did these steps in a script
>
> # make sure the remote file is totally on the system before making the
> # real filename appear.
> copy \\host\dir\dir\ALTERA~1.VHD     \dir\dir\ALTERA~1.VHD_new
> rename     \dir\dir\ALTERA~1.VHD_new \dir\dir\ALTERA~1.VHD
>
> The rename does not happen for some reason. I would suspect it is the
> underlaying OS since the ~ stuff is special. I just wanted you to
> verify.
>
> The File::Copy command also fails to do a copy rather then a rename.
>

> I recoded to use new_ALTERA~1.VHD instead and it all works ok.

The peculiarities of the Perl 5 'rename' function are documented in
perlfunc.

#####
perldoc -f rename
#####

Have you tried some of the suggestions therein, or read some of the
references on that page?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---