[perl #47487] make fails at Making B (dynamic) phase with Permission denied error

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
August 13, 2012 16:50
Subject:
[perl #47487] make fails at Making B (dynamic) phase with Permission denied error
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1344901844-1210.47487-15-0@perl.org
> I am trying to build Perl on a shared hosting environment. Perl should
> be installed under the local user instead of /usr/local/ I ran Configure
> with all default suggested settings except for the target folder set to
> ~dtadmin/perl
>
> While running make, the process exits at the following place:
>
> Making B (dynamic)
> opendir(./../../../..): Permission denied at ../../lib/File/Find.pm
line 604
> Use of chdir('') or chdir(undef) as chdir() is deprecated at
> ../../lib/File/Find.pm line 751.
> opendir(./..): Permission denied at ../../lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm
line 170
> Couldn't change to directory /home/u2/dtadmin/C: No such file or directory
> at Makefile.PL line 18
> Writing Makefile for B
> Warning: No Makefile!
> make: don't know how to make config. Stop
> make config failed, continuing anyway...
> make: don't know how to make all. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /home/u2/dtadmin/perl-5.8.8.
>
> uname -a result:
> FreeBSD pro8.abac.com 4.11-RELEASE-p19 FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p19 #1:
Fri Jul
> 14 16:35:50 PDT 2006     root@bak1.abac.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PRO  i386
>
> Please see myconfig output [below].
>
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) configuration:
>   Platform:
>     osname=freebsd, osvers=4.11-release-p19, archname=i386-freebsd
>     uname='freebsd pro8.abac.com 4.11-release-p19 freebsd
4.11-release-p19 #1: fri jul 14 16:35:50 pdt 2006
root@bak1.abac.com:usrobjusrsrcsyspro i386 '
>     config_args=''
>     hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
>     usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef
>     useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
>     use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
>     usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
>   Compiler:
>     cc='cc', ccflags ='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include',
>     optimize='-O',
>     cppflags='-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include'
>     ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]', gccosandvers=''
>     intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
>     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
>     ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
>     alignbytes=4, prototype=define
>   Linker and Libraries:
>     ld='cc', ldflags ='-Wl,-E  -L/usr/local/lib'
>     libpth=/usr/lib /usr/local/lib
>     libs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
>     perllibs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
>     libc=, so=none, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
>     gnulibc_version=''
>   Dynamic Linking:
>     dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=none, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
>     cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC', lddlflags='-shared  -L/usr/local/lib'

While reviewing older tickets this evening, I came across this ticker
originally filed in 2007 and not responded to since.

The original poster reported a build failure due to a permissions issues
and stated:

> I am trying to build Perl on a shared hosting environment. Perl should
> be installed under the local user instead of /usr/local/ I ran Configure
> with all default suggested settings except for the target folder set to
> ~dtadmin/perl

However, it does not appear to me from the configuration information the
original poster supplied that he correctly requested installation under
local user ~dtadmin/perl.  The entry for 'config_args' in the 'myconfig'
information provided above is an empty string.  In contrast, when I
configure like this:

#####
sh ./Configure -des -Dusedevel -Dprefix=/Users/jimk/Documents/Downloads
#####

I get a 'myconfig' entry like this:

#####
$ grep config_args myconfig    config_args='-des -Dusedevel
-Dprefix=/Users/jimk/Documents/Downloads'
#####

Uri Arad:  The absence of a populated 'config_args' key in your
'myconfig' suggests that this was just a configuration error, not a bug
in Perl.  Is this still a problem for you?

If we don't hear from the OP or get a different reading of the data
within 30 days, then I propose we close this ticket as "not a bug."

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new