NetWare v. PerlIO

From:
NormW
Date:
August 12, 2012 17:06
Subject:
NetWare v. PerlIO
Message ID:
502844FD.1010206@gknw.net
Hi,
Finally into trying a PerlIO build with the LibC and NetWare, and for
the most part the results are 'encouraging' (for me anyway).

Of the Perl Core only 2 files are hold-outs (NetWare specific places):

pp_sys.c : 4 places reference setbuf()
util.c   : 2 references to popen(), 2 to pclose() (in patches)

and a NetWare NWMAin.c has a reference to fopen() and fclose().

In short, this looks fixable, although not yet looked closely at how to
do it. The setbuf(x, NULL) calls remove a 'default' buffer and reduces
the related IO stream to 'unbuffered', which makes no real sense to my
understanding of IO, so this may be solvable simply by dropping them and
see if Perl can pass some suitable tests.

As none of the offending lines are 'vital' to a link, I commented them
out and re-tried linking; NetWare's Perl.nlm then built but the linker
found problems with 3 symbols in Libperl's generated .imp file.

> Linking   : reltarg\Libperl.nlm
> Error! E2028: PL_def_layerlist is an undefined reference
> Error! E2028: PL_known_layers is an undefined reference
> Error! E2028: PL_perlio is an undefined reference

These three are in the makedef.pl as 'givens' for 'netware', but other
than some references to them in PerlIO.c, can not find where they are
actually defined/get a life. By tweaking the .imp to omit the three
'errant' symbols, the Libperl links, so there appears to be little use
for them...(?)

Any feedback or clarification on any of this is most welcome.

Regards,
Norm