Re: [perl #114460] RFE: class as conditional self-defining keywordfor package

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
Re: [perl #114460] RFE: class as conditional self-defining keywordfor package
Message ID:
20120812230443.GC11137@tozt.net
On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:58:14PM -0700, Linda W wrote:
> The problem is that "Core" doesn't have pure classes -- it has modules, yet
> it represents itself as an OO language.  The modules have requirements that
> classes don't -- inherently, tying 'concept' to implementation is an
> anathema
> to OO design.   Adding a package to CPAN won't change the problem in Core.

One of our medium-term goals for the language in the next couple of
years is to add the concept of real, actual classes to the perl core.
I'd be against adding this idea to core if only because of namespace
clashing issues (a real class implementation will also want to be able
to use the 'class' keyword).

-doy