Re: microperl (was Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available)

From:
François Perrad
Date:
Re: microperl (was Re: perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available)
Message ID:
CAB0FRssy5KsGsrruaU=dz2jqbU2ap7PFqcts9J1vTNpaS9Bt6g@mail.gmail.com
2012/8/9 Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 01:58:27PM +0200, François Perrad wrote:
>
>> The build of microperl is broken in 5.16.0, but restored in blead
>> (since the 27 Jul 2012)
>> see http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/d40eae8f110fb9900e82648a2c44710def9f117d
>
> Sorry if I'm repeating a question I've asked previously.
>
> I'm curious - what are you using microperl for? I wasn't aware of anyone
> actually finding ways to put it to use.

I work with Buildroot, which is a cross-compiling environment for
embedded linux (see http://buildroot.uclibc.org/).
Buildroot comes with some packages for scripting : python, lua, ruby,
php, tcl and microperl.

microperl is not what I expect with an embedded linux.
So, I work on a package of a full perl. I will post some patches in few days.

But, I think that microperl could be useful in smaller embedded
device, like with RTEMS (see http://www.rtems.com/).

François Perrad