Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.17.2-69-g4a74e76

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: [perl.git] branch blead, updated. v5.17.2-69-g4a74e76
Message ID:
501DA906.9010500@khwilliamson.com
On 08/02/2012 02:14 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 10:01:19AM -0600, Karl Williamson wrote:
>> This doesn't work.  What it did was to bring everything in-line and
>> throw away the merge commit.
>>
>> And it isn't clear to me when we need a merge commit anyway.
>> perlgit says this: "For larger sets of commits that only make sense
>> together, or that would benefit from a summary of the set's purpose,
>> you should use a merge commit."  Is that accurate?
>
> Yes. But note that in this case, it should still be rebased.

The implication of my first paragraph are that if you rebase, do a merge
commit, and someone in the meantime has pushed to blead, your push will
fail, and your merge has to somehow be redone, as the 'git pull -rebase'
will lose the fact that it was a topic branch.