perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
August 3, 2012 12:01
Subject:
perl 5.16.1-RC1 is now available
Message ID:
20120803190046.GA3679@cancer.codesimply.com

  I was busy rescuing the captured maiden when the dragon showed up.
  Fifty feed of scaled terror glared down at us with smoldering red
  eyes.  Tendrils of smoke drifted out from between fangs larger than
  daggers.  The dragon blocked the only exit from the cave.

  ⋮

  I unwrapped the sword which the mysterious cleric had given me.  The
  sword was golden-tinted steel.  Its hilt was set with a rainbow
  collection of precious gems.  I shouted my battle cry and charged

  My charge caught the dragon by surprise.  Its titanic jaws snapped
  shut inches from my face.  I swung the golden sword with both arms.
  The swordblade bit into the dragon's neck and continued through to the
  other side.  With an earth-shaking crash, the dragon dropped dead at
  my feet.  The magic sword had saved my life and ended the reign of the
  dragon-tyrant.  The countryside was freed and I could return as a
  hero.

    -- Tom Moldvay, Foreward to the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rulebook

We are relieved to announce Perl 5.16.1, the second stable release of
Perl 5.16.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.16.1 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/RJBS/perl-5.16.1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

  03b5ecc72fb52ef0cc94736605d753aa7cc0518a  perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.gz
  cc2b60d7deb85194dd96b4d00e3551979652340e  perl-5.16.1-RC1.tar.bz2

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.16.1 represents approximately 2 months of development since Perl
5.16.0 and contains approximately 14,000 lines of changes across 96
files from 8 authors.

Perl continues to flourish into its third decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.16.1:

Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Craig A. Berry, Father Chrysostomos, Karl
Williamson, Paul Johnson, Reini Urban, Ricardo Signes, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release Perl 5.16.2 around November 1, 2012.

--
rjbs