UTF8 and Data::Dumper

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
August 3, 2012 08:12
Subject:
UTF8 and Data::Dumper
Message ID:
501BEA49.3010204@cpan.org
Hi Karl,

In the attached change (4b88fb76efce8c436e63b907c9842345d4fa77c7), you
modified the XS in Data::Dumper to fix some UTF8 issue the details of
which I do not know. That's great, but unfortunately, your changes won't
allow that version of D::D to run on older perls, which is quite important.

I'd now just go ahead and #ifdef the hell out of it since I don't know
how to get it right, but the specific way in which you patched the code
makes me wonder what's going on: What you cannot see in the diff is that
the function and macro definitions that you modified are only applicable
to 5.6 (yes, 5.six not sixteen) and earlier. This basically leaves 5.8
to 5.16 in the same bucket as blead and it blows up in fun ways.

Since I'm unsure what you intended, could you please have a look at this
when you have some time and try to make D::D work on both blead and perl
5.8-5.16?

Best regards,
Steffen