RE: Hanging tests

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
RE: Hanging tests
Message ID:
1B32FF956ABF414C9BCE5E487A1497E70E0B8EB1@ukmail02.planit.group
Steve Hay wrote on 2012-03-28:
> I find that several tests keep hanging when I run the full test suite
> "manually" (i.e. typing "nmake test" in a Command Prompt), the first
> of which is cpan/CPANPLUS/t/19_CPANPLUS-Dist.t. Strangely, they don't
> hang if I redirect STDOUT and STDERR to a file, e.g. "nmake test
>> out.txt
> 2>&1", which probably explains why they never hang when running a
> 2>smoke either.
>
> They also never hang when I run the tests in question individually,
> either as "perl harness /path/to/test" or as "nmake test
> TEST_FILES=/path/to/test", which makes no sense to me and is not
> making it easy to find what's going on...

Several other people reported the same behaviour around the time I
reported this, and a note about it was added to 5.16.0 and 5.17.1
perldeltas.

I never did manage to determine what the cause was, but the problem
seems to have gone away again now: numerous recent builds I've done with
different compilers on different machines have all been fine (except for
an unrelated problem of fork.t occasionally hanging, regardless of
whether STDERR is redirected, currently under investigation in #88840).

Do other people who saw the same problem also now find that it has been
fixed somewhere along the line?