Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org

From:
Dennis Kaarsemaker
Date:
Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org
Message ID:
1343894675.3824.22.camel@localhost
On wo, 2012-08-01 at 22:45 -0500, Craig A. Berry wrote:

> I really like the fact that snapshots of arbitrary commits are
> available (and they even include the .patch file).  I would prefer
> .zip to .tar.bz2, but I suspect that's a minority opinion.

Similar snapshots are available in gitweb too, Yves wrote the code for
that when we moved to git. Gitalist can provide snapshots in
tar.gz/tar.bz2/tar.xz and zip formats by changing the url. I need to
figure out a way of making this available in the ui without overdoing
the number of links.

> The first thing that struck me visually was how gigantic the headers
> are.  I pulled out a ruler and measured 6 cm from the top of the page
> to where it says "Perl5 Master Repository".  I think that ought to be
> reduced by at least half.

Yeah, gigantic header will go. Everybody complained about vertical
whitespace abuse, so I don't think it coundts as subjective anymore.

> The only problem with colors I have is the color gray, which is
> everywhere.  Gray text on a white or off-white background requires
> much more effort for me to read than black text on a white background.
>  White text on a gray background, such as in the blob and blame views,
> is even worse.

The blob/blame backround will go, and I'll increase contrast where
needed.

> The blame and blob views have fixed widths that are too narrow for
> much of the code (gitweb uses the full width of the window, whatever
> it happens to be).  Yes, there is a horizontal scroll bar at the
> bottom, but scrolling all the way to the bottom of the 14,437 lines of
> sv.c in order to scroll right, then scrolling back up to wherever I
> was is non-workable.

This is also a common complaint and will be fixed.

> If the performance problems with tree view involve more than just
> using the dev version of Catalyst, that's a dealbreaker.  gitweb is
> pretty darn good, but not quite fast enough for the archive diving I
> do.  Unless gitalist is noticeably faster than gitweb, switching is
> less than compelling.

Yeah, unless the tree view is actually considerably faster, it's pretty
close to useless for any serious work.

--
Dennis Kaarsemaker, Systems Architect
Booking.com