[perl #114102] unterminateable heredocs caused by newline in delimiter

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 2, 2012 00:20
Subject:
[perl #114102] unterminateable heredocs caused by newline in delimiter
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1343892019-704.114102-15-0@perl.org
On Mon Jul 16 03:04:46 2012, nicholas wrote:
> Yes, if it can't ever work, why is it even accepted?
>
> Strikes me that it's buggy to accept a terminator which contains a newline
> (or anything else which the parser *cannot* later deal with), and that
> really the only sane thing to do is to report it as an error early.
>
> I also *think* that changing this can't actually change the behaviour of
> any existing program, because (if I understand it correctly), all
currently
> fail to parse, due to the "missing" heredoc terminator.
>
> All it does is change the error reported, to one that is meaningful.

It works in string eval.  See also #78348 and #114040.

--

Father Chrysostomos

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open