Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org
Message ID:
CA+vYcVwrwZPHHCpjkSrnGCXeO+X76poh=C7wsu+0zg9_7KWrDA@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Dennis Kaarsemaker
<dennis.kaarsemaker@booking.com> wrote:

> You can test it at: http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/
>
> If you do, please provide feedback here or in #p5p and I'll address it
> as soon as I can. There are some known issues:

This is all very subjective, and since there are lots of other
subjectivities involved I realize the best you can do is compute the
min of the unhappiness function, but here are a few impressions.

I really like the fact that snapshots of arbitrary commits are
available (and they even include the .patch file).  I would prefer
.zip to .tar.bz2, but I suspect that's a minority opinion.

The first thing that struck me visually was how gigantic the headers
are.  I pulled out a ruler and measured 6 cm from the top of the page
to where it says "Perl5 Master Repository".  I think that ought to be
reduced by at least half.

One way of acquiring header real estate would be to ditch the huge
gitalist logo in the upper left corner.  A "powered by gitalist" logo
about 1/8 the size of the current logo and down at the bottom of the
page next to the git logo would be appropriate.  The oversized
advertisement for gitalist on prime real estate is distracting and
inappropriate.

The headers have 3 lines to them:

gitalist logo / search
branches drop-down / short log / long log / tree
Home / whatever / whatever

I think that ought to be reduced to at most 2 lines.  In addition to
getting rid of the logo, I'm not sure the branches drop-down serves
much purpose as the branches are listed in their own section lower
down.

The only problem with colors I have is the color gray, which is
everywhere.  Gray text on a white or off-white background requires
much more effort for me to read than black text on a white background.
 White text on a gray background, such as in the blob and blame views,
is even worse.

The blame and blob views have fixed widths that are too narrow for
much of the code (gitweb uses the full width of the window, whatever
it happens to be).  Yes, there is a horizontal scroll bar at the
bottom, but scrolling all the way to the bottom of the 14,437 lines of
sv.c in order to scroll right, then scrolling back up to wherever I
was is non-workable.

If the performance problems with tree view involve more than just
using the dev version of Catalyst, that's a dealbreaker.  gitweb is
pretty darn good, but not quite fast enough for the archive diving I
do.  Unless gitalist is noticeably faster than gitweb, switching is
less than compelling.