Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org
Message ID:
20120801161418.GA25126@cancer.codesimply.com
* Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> [2012-08-01T11:01:14]
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 08:04:50PM +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>
> > Quite a while ago I looked at using using Gitalist instead of gitweb for
> > perl5.git.perl.org. At the time it wasn't really ready, but it's
> > improved quite a bit. David Morel gave me a Catalyst book and over the
> > last few days I've implemented most of the missing parts.
>
> Thanks for doing this.

Yes!  I'd love to see us using something better than gitweb.

> I hope it's also easy to add the option of "ignore whitespace changes"
> to the blame view.

That would be sweet.

> There's stuff I'm not that keen on
>
> I find the colour scheme too blunt and in my face. It's distracting me from
> the actual content. This may just be because I'm not used to it.

Doesn't bother me much.  I remain ever-grumpy by sites that have a really tall
header, but fine.  I can cope.

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 07:57:29PM -0000, Father Chrysostomos wrote:
>
> > The shortlog is not very short.  It takes three times as much space as
> > gitweb.  Going back three hundred commits does not consist of simply
> > clicking the next link three times, but scrolling down and right and
> > clicking Other Commits 15 times.  Also, the fixed width is annoying.
> > (The purpose of a big screen is to fit multiple things on the screen,
> > not for one thing to require a huge window.)
> >
> > I usually tend to be alone in this.  So feel free to ignore me.  But
> > could you leave an instance of gitweb running?
>
> No you're not alone.

I think we'd want to keep gitweb running at least for a while, yes.

As for the "not very short," yes, I agree.  The number of commits per screenful
is grossly reduced, and it bothers me.

> *As is*, the only thing I like more about gitalist is that it can render Pod.
> I hope things change.

I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that it's almost certainly easier
to hack on than gitweb.  Unfortunately, I know I won't be doing any of that
hacking.  Unless we know someone will, it's an empty promise for us.

So, who wants to be a dedicated "Gitalist for p5p" hacker?

--
rjbs