Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org

From:
Dennis Kaarsemaker
Date:
July 30, 2012 11:05
Subject:
Testing gitalist for perl5.git.perl.org
Message ID:
1343671490.3210.18.camel@localhost
Hi all,

Quite a while ago I looked at using using Gitalist instead of gitweb for
perl5.git.perl.org. At the time it wasn't really ready, but it's
improved quite a bit. David Morel gave me a Catalyst book and over the
last few days I've implemented most of the missing parts.

Some of the improvements over gitweb (for those of you who already use
Gitalist, many improvements currently sit in branches at
https://github.com/seveas/Gitalist -- Dan will review them when he has
time):

* It's a proper web application, thus easily extendable. For
  example, the committer overview was integrated instead of
  being a horrible cgi script hack:
  http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/committers
* Syntax highlighting using Syntax::Highlight::Engine::Kate.
  Example:
  http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/perl.git/HEAD/blob/overload.c
  http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/perl.git/HEAD/blob/lib%2FAnyDBM_File.pm
* POD (and markdown) rendering:
  http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/perl.git/HEAD/html/pod%2Fperlgit.pod
* Pluggable snapshot generator, reducing the size of our own
  hack.
* Cherrymaint could be integrated at some point

You can test it at: http://perl5.git.perl.org:3000/

If you do, please provide feedback here or in #p5p and I'll address it
as soon as I can. There are some known issues:

* This is a test instance, running on Catalyst's internal
  testserver. This makes it slower than needed.
* Tree view loads commit info with ajax calls, this is slow,
  probably due to the above
* The search is less full-featured than gitweb's, which Yves
  improved. This will be fixed :)
* Syntax::Highlight::Engine::Kate is a bit buggy, e.g. in C
  code the number 4 renders differently for some reason
* Commit messages in gitweb are links to their commit. In
  Gitalist they are not. My initial patch is buggy or tickles a
  bug in Git::PurePerl that causes a filedescriptor leak, so
  that's been reverted for now.

--
Dennis Kaarsemaker, Systems Architect
Booking.com