[perl #114280] Carp's longmess() and shortmess() should be documented

From:
James E Keenan via RT
Date:
July 26, 2012 16:12
Subject:
[perl #114280] Carp's longmess() and shortmess() should be documented
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1343344331-514.114280-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Jul 26 07:49:59 2012, srezic@cpan.org wrote:

> This is a bug report for perl from srezic@cpan.org,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.39 running under perl 5.16.0.

> The documentation for these functions were largely removed in commit
> d735c2efe0b08b05adfb893625476bf4480a2ece (there's still one place
> mentioning "longmess" without any further explanation).
>
> In the discussion in
> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2006/10/msg117394.html
> the removal was explained:
>
> | - Removed documentation of shortmess and longmess.  Unfortunately
> | longmess doesn't do anything particularly reasonable, and it can't
>    be
> | made to do so because of backwards compatibility with code that
> | depended on the old behaviour.
>
> However, longmess() and shortmess() are still exported.

Confirmed.  Any identifier which is exportable must be documented.

> And there's a
> lot of code which is still using longmess(). Just try "git grep
> Carp::longmess" in perl's source code, and I assume that many CPAN
> modules are also using longmess().

See attachment for results of:  ack -l 'Carp::(long|short)mess' *

> So for me it looks like longmess()
> *is* doing something reasonable.
>
> My suggestion is to restore the documentation, or to at least mention
> the functions, and explain the shortcomings if there are any.

Agreed.

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: new