Re: [perl #107370] *{""} stringification

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: [perl #107370] *{""} stringification
Message ID:
20120724024349.GF14892@cancer.codesimply.com
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-comment@perl.org> [2012-06-14T20:56:39]
> I think the only way to fix this properly is to make *{$foo} equivalent
> to *{__PACKAGE__ ."::$foo"} in all cases where $foo is a string that
> does not contain a package separator.
>
> That means that %{""} will refer to %:: in the main package, and to
> %foo:: in the foo package.

This doesn't seem nuts to me, and I'm hard pressed to imagine it breaking any
code that is not both cowboy and cavalier... but:

a) I'd like to hear if there are objections and
b) how about we do a big ol' smoke?

If you make this change, and core doesn't break like crazy, I can even have a
look at using Steffen's smoking machinery.  *Somebody* other than him has to
learn to use it!

--
rjbs