[perl #100450] perl 5.14.2 test suite failures on x86_64-sun-solaris2.10

From:
Karl Williamson via RT
Date:
July 23, 2012 16:27
Subject:
[perl #100450] perl 5.14.2 test suite failures on x86_64-sun-solaris2.10
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-11172-1343086026-526.100450-15-0@perl.org
On Thu Apr 19 12:26:11 2012, enchanter wrote:
> In regard to: Re: [perl #100450] perl 5.14.2 test suite failures
> on...:
>
> > "Tim.Mooney@ndsu.edu via RT" <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> > :I rebuilt 5.14.2 with -xinline=   (i.e. all inlining turned off)
> and I
> > :still get the same failures, but the stack trace is a little more
> readable:
> >
> > Ok, I guess the first question should have been: is the value being
> passed
> > in actually NULL?
> >
> > As far as I can see it should not be: the calling code from
> > S_anonymise_cv_maybe says:
> >    gvname = Perl_newSVpvf(aTHX_ "%s::__ANON__",
> >                                        stash ? stash : "__ANON__");
> > .. but it would be instructive to check what 'stash' is at that
> point.
>
> (dbx) up
> Current function is Perl_vnewSVpvf (optimized)
>   8588       sv_vsetpvfn(sv, pat, strlen(pat), args, NULL, 0, NULL);
> (dbx) up
> Current function is Perl_newSVpvf (optimized)
>   8572       sv = vnewSVpvf(pat, &args);
> (dbx) up
> Current function is S_anonymise_cv_maybe (optimized)
>   6013                                           stash ? stash :
> "__ANON__");
> (dbx) print stash
> dbx: warning: variable `stash' has no address - unused or optimized
> out
>
> > Note this is happening within sv_kill_backrefs, which has had
> several
> > bugs fixed in recent months (mostly by davem, I think); it may be
> worth
> > trying a (soon to be 5.16) bleadperl instead.
> >
> > But for diagnosing this issue, I think the next step should be to
> try
> > compiling sv.c with no optimization at all.
>
> I dropped the optimization to -xO2 for just sv.o and the problem no
> longer happens.  That doesn't necessarily prove it's an optimizer bug,
> but I'm comfortable with using that as a workaround.   I can still
> continue to use the same optimization flags that I've used for years
> for
> the rest of perl, and I'll just use different flags for sv.o.
>
> I'll check 5.16 once it's actually released, to see if the issue is
> still
> present.
>
> Tim

5.16 is now out.  Please see if the issue got fixed.
--
Karl Williamson

---
via perlbug:  queue: perl5 status: open