sorting through perlexperiment.pod

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
July 14, 2012 14:44
Subject:
sorting through perlexperiment.pod
Message ID:
20120714214443.GA3553@cancer.codesimply.com

About two years ago, brian d foy gave us pod/perlexperiment.pod, which is meant
to list the history and status of experimental features.

We'd like to feel freer to treat experimental features as things that are
really experiments, and that people won't want to rely on too heavily.
Unfortunately, right now, there are a lot of features in perlexperiment that
I don't think we really think of as experimental.  For example:

  * Win32 fork emulation
  * weak references
  * 64 bit support

Now, I don't think these are still "experiments," although I'm open to
arguments that they are.  The problem, though, is that I don't think we've been
very good about making things as experiments, or making it clear when they're
no longer experimental.

So, I'd like to go through this list and figure out whether anything in there
was already called "not experimental" and which things we should formally
declare "real Perl" in perl5180delta.

There are also some sections that are misplaced.  For example, some things,
like assertions, show up under current experiments, when they belong under
"removed features."

Most items could use some more detail telling us why we added and removed
things, for future historians.  More importantly, though, a few things aren't
quite clear to me, but could probably be clarified.  For example:

  * Long Doubles Still Don't Work In Solaris

(That's an experiment?)

I'm about to hop on a plane to OSCON.  Working on this document is something I
might do there.  If you've got information to share or patches to contribute,
please go for it!

--
rjbs