Re: [perl #113554] my() with empty list causes weird error

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: [perl #113554] my() with empty list causes weird error
Message ID:
20120708060221.GQ28886@fernweh.plasmasturm.org
* Darin McBride <dmcbride@cpan.org> [2012-07-08 06:50]:
> On Sunday July 8 2012 6:42:58 AM Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> > Why would the last example here be the odd one out? What makes an
> > empty list so abhorrent in the vicinity of `my` that unlike anywhere
> > else in Perl, there it has to be forbidden?
>
> Personal opinion, but "my ()" makes no semantic sense even if it makes
> syntactical sense.

What about its semantics is nonsensical? It seems perfectly well-defined
to me, the concept of “zero” is not exactly novel.

(Do you mean it makes no intentional sense? I would agree with that. But
there are many other things you can do in a programming language that
are pointless: multiplying by 1, concatenating with the empty string,
a statement consisting solely of an expression with no side effects,
etc. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to disallow them.)

Regards,