Re: [perl #113974] package NAMESPACE manpage comments

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: [perl #113974] package NAMESPACE manpage comments
Message ID:
20120707135057.GB26113@cancer.codesimply.com
* demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2012-07-06T12:16:19]
> Anyway, I really hope Ricardo puts some thought into this, at a deep
> level, and resists the urge to base his decisions on optimizations and
> new features which IMO break the original model and then gets back to
> us with how it SHOULD be seen and dealt with, and then we can move on
> from there.
>
> I personally will not accept any argument that is based on the current
> broken behavior of our as I consider the behavior of the following
> code to be plain and simply a bug.
> [code]

I'm just not sure what you're suggesting.

I see that when I asked what you thought your code sample should do, it didn't
get back to the list.  Oops!

"our" seems to do exactly what I'd expect given the explanation I've always had
in my head: a lexical name pointing at package storage.

I went and reviewed the original thread about 'our' here:
http://markmail.org/thread/37ma5sf2fr75dwxt -- once again taking us to the
summer of 1999!

I didn't see anything convincing me that "our" was supposed to work differently
than it does now.

--
rjbs