Re: [perl #82954] Can't do {n,m} with n > m in regex - make warning?

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
Re: [perl #82954] Can't do {n,m} with n > m in regex - make warning?
Message ID:
20120706141649.GA22640@cancer.codesimply.com
* demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2012-07-06T08:37:03]
> On 6 July 2012 05:05, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> > * Karl Williamson via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2012-02-12T12:03:32]
> >> The patch to change this into a warning is trivial; I've done it except
> >> for the tests.  I'm inclined to think we should do it.  And I more
> >> strongly than ever think we should pre-deprecate an unescaped '{', and
> >> will start working on that.
> >
> > We should do this.
>
> Sorry, but I think you are wrong here.  There are a number of reasons:

Before I respond to your reasons, I want to make sure we're on the same page.

My "should" is that we should turn x{m,n} into a warning when m is greater than
n.  This became an error in 5.12.

I realize that the quoted section includes two things, now.  I meant that we
should convert the new-ish error to a warning, without expressing any opinion
about unescaped {s.

--
rjbs